A Marriage After His Heart

My journey and life unscripted as I transition from the role of a single mom living for God to a newlywed trying my best at blending and expanding my family, all while pursing a marriage after God and my husband's heart. Join us on this journey!

Monday, May 31, 2010

Introduing Miss Tabron Reese Thomas

My sincerest apologies for posting pictures so late of our newest addition to the Thomas family, but as you can imagine, life for me has been a little hectic.

Our fifth daughter Tabron Reese Thomas was born Sunday May 16th after many weeks of trying to keep her in the oven until she was as close to full term as possible. She was born at 36.5 weeks at 7lbs 15oz and 19 3/4 inches long. A little bit more than big sis who was born at 38 weeks. Her first name pronounced (Taybren) is my mother's maiden name, I have always loved the name Reese and we just wanted her to have a uniqueness about her.

I had a bit of a difficult time carrying her during the last trimester. At about 33 weeks I developed a yeast infection that was in my blood stream and caused me to have the symptoms of a pregnancy related disorder called
cholestasis of pregnancy and after running blood work my there were now bile salts in my blood and my liver was fine but I did have an overgrowth of yeast in my system that was causing me tons of problems.

Chocolate drop and Mercy

I actually started dilating at 33 weeks and was given steroid shots for the baby's lungs in case I delivered pre-term. I spent the next three weeks in and out the hospital getting shots to stop my contractions which which were consistent but not strong enough to make me dilate past the 2cm I was currently at but as we all know things change with babies and once we made it to 36weeks and I started feeling better and moving around more things changed. The funny part is the Monday before she was born I had an OB appointment and scheduled her birth for 6/4 since she was actually due 6/9, but that Thursday night I started contracting again, the next day I got up for work thinking that I really needed to make this my last day and prepare just in case. On the way out the door I ran to the rest room only to find that I was loosing part of my plug, I went into work and the contractions intensified. I called my mom to make plans to come after work and pick up the girls and later that night we went to the hospital. Sure enough I dilated from 2cm to 4cm. Again, I was sedated and given drugs to stop my labor as the Peds doc and my doc wanted to try as much as they could to push things back to 37 weeks.

Grace and Mercy as they are nicknamed

Saturday morning we were sent home, I was sedated and slept for most of the day. Mark was scheduled to work an overnight 7p-7a shift so I sent him to work thinking I could really use the alone time to sleep and relax which is what I did since I was still in and out from the relaxants. I woke up though in the early hours Sunday morning with stronger contractions and by the time Mark made it home I was in true labor... I decided to take a bath to dull the pain because I honestly did not want to go back to the hospital. I took the meds given to control the contractions and thought I will just sleep again but as I got out of the tub and started to get dressed my water broke. At that time we just got into packing mode and headed to the hospital which at that time about 11 am.

Once we got checked in I tried my hardest to breath through the contractions but having experienced the intense pain of a dry labor and delivery and not having a high threshold for pain, I opted for an epidural. By that time Mark was exhausted so we napped and around 5:30 I started feeling the urge to push, the nurse checked, she was crowning and before we knew it she was born at 5:56 pm. We had a relatively easy birth. The hard part came afterwards. As soon as I delivered her, I felt the urge to cough and I couldn't stop coughing and I couldn't catch my breath. I got really hot and started spiking a fever a few moments later I slipped out of conscienceless and didn't come to until about 9 pm, I was given antibiotics and had chest x-rays taken but the doctors couldn't find a cause for me getting so ill. I chalked it up to God's immediate healing powers and finally about 11 pm once my fever broke I was able to hold my precious baby.

Tabron @ 6days old

We are at home and settling in right now. My mom has left and Mark has returned to work so its just me and my baby girls and yes Graci is having a tough time adjusting and she is very competitive for my attention but we are making it taking things one day at a time! Thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes on Terry's blog! I have two babies that are asleep so I am going to try for a quick nap. Until next time, stay blessed and encouraged!


Terry @ Breathing Grace said...

She is beautiful!!

Persuaded said...

Oh Jamala, how did I miss this! What a terribly scary time that must have been for you all just after the birth... but she is absolutely beautiful

I'll be praying for you as you parent all those gorgeous little ladies!

Sisters Of Honor said...

She is adorable. What a beautiful blessing!!