A Marriage After His Heart

My journey and life unscripted as I transition from the role of a single mom living for God to a newlywed trying my best at blending and expanding my family, all while pursing a marriage after God and my husband's heart. Join us on this journey!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekly Update and Election Thoughts

I just wanted to check in this week and let everyone know how I am doing. Baby and I are doing fine and progressing each week. I had an opportunity to get out and about last week, even chaperoning a 4th grade field trip. I was truly thankful for the opportunity.

This week I plan on accomplishing more household chores and cooking more creative meals. I have missed cooking full course meals but I have fallen in love with one dish meals during this season.

On a different note I had thoughts that I wanted to share about this upcoming election. I have read many a Christian blog that have really had some powerful opinions about my party and our candidate; however my thoughts are not in defense of him totally as I have had a chance to do some real soul searching about my political view points. While I am currently a registered Democrat I do disagree with those liberal stances that clearly violate my spiritual stand. So on to my thoughts and they are not what you think. Like I said earlier I have done my soul searching and in the end decided to make a political change.

Many oppose Sen. Obama for his stand on abortion and rights for homosexuals among other social stands of his and while I agree with the opposition, I also wonder how is it that some Christians can passionately oppose him and embrace Sen. McCain and his support of the war. According to the bible sin is sin and no sin is greater or least in God's eyes and with that being said we have to be careful in judging one and not the other.

How much more value is the life of an unborn child than that of a unsuspecting family in an air-raided village, or the sacrifice of life on both ends by the enlisted soldier. Murder is murder whether you abort a child or create a casualty of war. I feel strongly about this because before I got saved I served my country both in active duty and as a reservist and even then it was hard for me to leave my babies after being placed on active duty during the start of this war especially when its basis has been founded on lies and unreliable information.

I served stateside for over a year shortly after 9/11 and I was able to get an honorable discharge before my unit was sent overseas. I had to make a difficult decision that my babies came first, and no amount of patriotism was going to replace the needed mothering that only I could give. They ( my old unit) are currently on their second tour of active duty and I have not regretted one day my choice to come home. Many of the people I served have lost their marriages and families and the children suffered the most. Unfortunately Uncle Sam has yet to repair the damage. I love my country, but I love my God more and if my freedom to openly worship him was taken away, his word is hidden in my heart and I would still worship him as Daniel. So the argument of wars being fought for my freedom to serve God is null and void for me. My freedom came when I repented of my sins and accepted him as my Lord and Saviour.

There is no way that I could see myself being a Christian and also serving as a soldier of war. I could not see myself feeling justified with taking another life under the name of patriotism. I guess that was an area that I lacked the patriotism needed to feel confident with making that tough choice. My brother made those tough choices in the front lines of battle during this war and I see first hand the sacrifice of peace of mind that he battles with. I am in no way speaking against those in uniform because there is a bond between service members that is fraternal but my bond with Christ is eternal.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it was very hard for me to denounce one candidate without denouncing the other, or vice versa. Since we only have two choices for which to vote, a choice not to vote for one specifically may be a silent support for the other one. I just wonder if we realize that by specifically singling out the fallacies of one without mentioning those same fallacies of the other sends the wrong message.

I will say this, I have found it despicable that in this day and age when a man of color who has an very profoundly ethnic name runs for president he has to be labeled as a terrorist or even worse in my eyes an "Arab or Muslim" as if that makes a person unworthy. I say this too because I also have an ethnic name and have faced many years of name'ism.

And not to be judgemental but I have a hard time with a certain woman vice presidential candidate speaking so condescendingly of another minority as if she can cast the first stone. I could go on and on but I will leave with this. I find it appalling that so many can compliment her on style, and attack of Sen. Obama, and the fact that she didn't abort her disabled child, when it is clear that her political ambitions were first and raising her family was second or third. I am not judging her mothering skills, but as I stated in my post here, I am sick of seeing teen and out of wed-lock pregnancy be swept under the rug and seemingly glorified as okay and not the fault of the parent. If she had taken a much more humble approach with less sanctimony, I would feel differently about her actions. She in my eyes she is in no position to aggressively and openly attack another person's character. Actually none of us are but it bothers me that many Christians endorse her. I am just being honest.

Although I may not be able to support Sen. Obama and his policies, he is a person that should be recognized as distinguishable. He is a man that has been committed to his marriage, there have been no skeletons of inappropriate relationships, he openly admires his wife, they have both committed to raising their children and I feel have stronger ties in the area of family values. This is something that we don't get an opportunity to see very much in politics and I feel that it is something to be admired, the same can be said about Joe Biden who has spent many years in politics and raised very grounded and successful sons. I feel that this is an area that doesn't get much praise or attention. The same could be said for my former Governor ( Mike Huckabee) who was my top choice as the best candidate for this race.

I may just be rambling but I wanted to finally share my political thoughts and it has nothing to do with education, health care, social programs, economics or any of that political finger pointing, what it boils down to is the sin that both candidates endorse and that is murder which will and can get me in trouble with God, so with that being said, I am no longer affiliating myself with any political party but have decided to be an Independent and to in the future focus on those things that will keep me with a conscience void of offence to God and to man.
Thanks for reading, be blessed and stay encouraged.

3 comments:

Terry, Ornament of His Grace said...

As someone who is neither Democrat nor Republican, I can appreciate much of what you've said. And while I have voiced my reasons for disapproving of Obama, I'm no fan of McCain either, and I agree with you about this crazy war- up to a point. I don't think unborn babies (the truly innocent) and war casualties are a valid comparison, but besides that I'm with you on the war.

Whatever happens, we need to be prayerful. Sometimes I shudder to think that these two men are the best America has to offer.

Bridget said...

Very interesting post. I have not read any posts like it on the few other blogs I read.

I never really considered the issues surrounding ethnic names. Usually, people tend to think I am caucasian due to my name and/or telephone voice. I agree that it is a sorry excuse for discrimination.

Thanks for the update on your family! Blessings to you all.

Armchair Housewife said...

I must tell you Mrs. Thomas how refreshing I found this post to be. I followed your link at the comment on Ornaments of Grace and was encouraged to read this post by you today.

I feel like we connect on a number of areas. I was a military kid growing up, my father was a 20-year marine, and I didn't become a believer until I was in college. I too have a deep and abiding love for our service men and women and yet have the same conflict that as a Christian I cannot justify military action against others that would result in death to further the agenda of a secular government. if our first and singular purpose on this planet is to advance the gospel and the Kingdom of Christ, and I am to put aside those things in my life that would create stumbling blocks to my ability to share the gospel, how could my carrying a weapon for a country, or supporting my country in doing so, not be a stumbling block to those who end up the "enemies" of my nation but are the lost children of God who need Christ? As such, while I champion the right's stance on abortion in the US (and in Canada where I now live), I cannot support their hawkish, pro-war stance and therefore could never find myself a Republican.

On the other hand, while I was a registered democrat before becoming a believer (and probably still am as I haven't lived in or voted in the states for five years now), I could never count myself a member of that "party" today either due to their stances on abortion, euthanasia, and other important moral issues. So I totally hear you there.

For me, in these past couple of years, as I have grown in my walk with the Lord, it ultimtaely comes down to allegiance with me. To whom do I ultimately pledge allegiance? It is not a flag, a nation, a party, a candidate, but to a King, to Jesus Christ. I am a member of the kingdom of the cross, not of the sword. My enemies are spiritual, not flesh and blood. I will continue to be a part of the political process as the Spirit leads, but my hope is that I will remember who is truly sovereign, and from where our helps truly comes, and my prayer is that the church will focus more and more on being the church, and less and less on trying to get the " right" government in place to God's work on earth.

Sorry this was such a long post! Just wanted to say how refreshing it was to see a like-minded sister. I could go on about the nameisms, too, and and my frustration with Palin's tone, demeanor, and abdication of her role as wife and mother in pursuit of politics as a Christian woman, but I will stop now! Haha...

And I was excited last night, too. I would have voted for Obama if I still lived in the states as the better of two imperfect candidates, and I couldn't help but shed a tear in one of America's brighter moments.

Blessings,

Nicole